Every human being has light and dark sides to their personalities. We are not, or should not, be defined only by one part of our lives, or one facet of ourselves. The goal of the INTO LIGHT Narratives is to depict those who have died from drug addiction as the people that they were in their entirety, realizing that their addiction and cause of death was only one aspect of their personality.
Toward that end, we are asking you to put a lot of thought into answering the questions in this document. Our professional writers will utilize your responses to construct a narrative that shows your loved one as you remember them, in darkness and in light.
You can offer as much information as you like; our writers will synthesize the information into a narrative of about 350-400 words. This narrative, along with the portrait, will be published in a catalogue of the INTO LIGHT exhibition for each state/location. By submitting this questionnaire you agree to take sole responsibility for the accuracy of the information and to be the point of contact for the duration of the project. You further acknowledge that you are authorized to submit the narrative information of the loved one and give your permission for its use in all aspects of the INTO LIGHT project.
Please complete the questions below and submit the completed questionnaire along with 1-3 photographs of your loved one to www.intolightproject.org. There are a total of 41 slots available in each state/location. Only completed questionnaires accompanied with photograph(s) of loved one will be considered for participation.
Name of your loved one
Date of Birth
Date of Death
In what state did your loved one die?
How many years they lived with addiction
How would you like their name listed in the catalog?
Example: (full legal name, first, middle, last, nickname – whatever you prefer).
How would you like them referred to in the narrative?
Example: nickname, shortened version of their name,etc.
For instance: Dave vs David or Liz vs Elizabeth
Name and relationship of person giving information
1. How would you describe your loved one?
What kinds of things did he or she like to do?
What were they interested in/passionate about?
How would you describe his or her personality?
What made them unique?
2. Any schooling you want to share- sometimes a degree or other schooling or training, illustrates something about them.
Example: One person in our first exhibit was obtaining a social work
degree to help people with addiction.
Any particular skills or talents that you want to include?
Example: One person was very well known for his tattoo artistry.
3. Work experience sometimes tells us something about an individual.
If their work is relevant to helping to show who they were as a person, please tell us about it.
4. What goals or plans did they have for their future?
What were they planning to do later in life?
Example: “They always talked about starting a graphic art business.”, or their major focus was having children.
5. Often, after the death of a loved one, we hear stories about how they influenced someone’s life, gave a helping hand, etc. Sometimes we don’t even know how influential they were to others until that time. If you have had this experience, please share.
Example: She gave me a place to stay when I was going through a difficult time.
6. What would you say was their biggest accomplishment in life? It can be anything.
Example: Being sober for 2 years, buying a home, saving a life, reaching out to others, being there for people etc.
7. Talk about some of your fondest or funniest memories you have of them or stories you love to tell that are memorable.
8. What do you miss most about them?
Examples: Their infectious smile, their phone calls, hugs, the funny noises they would make, goofy jokes. Anything personal to you.
9. What was the most difficult part of living around someone suffering from addiction(s).
10. How did your loved one’s disease change them?
11. How has their addiction changed you?
12. How has their addiction impacted your life, then and now?
13. If you were to sum up their life in about 5 words, what would they be?
Example: Loving, kind, adventurous, creative, deep thinker, connected to nature, charismatic
14. Is there anything you want to add that was not asked? Please feel free to add any additional information you feel would add to the narrative.