Information and Application Form
Asheville, NC Exhibit
October 19 – November 20, 2020
Opening reception is October 23
Application Open Date
February 1, 2020
Application Closing Date
September 1, 2020
The purpose of the INTO LIGHT project is to remember and document the lives of those who have died from drug addiction. Rather than have our loved ones forever defined by the disease of addiction and the cause of their death, we wish to portray them in their entirety, both the light and the dark. A goal of the project is to alleviate the stigma surrounding drug addiction and bring to light the victims’ lives, rather than focus on the darkness surrounding their deaths.
INTO LIGHT plans to have exhibits in every state in the U.S. The Asheville N.C. exhibit will be held at Mission Health/AB Tech Conference Center Conference Center, 16 Fernihurst Drive, Asheville from October 19-November 20, 2020 . Our partnership with colleges and universities across the U.S. provides not only an opportunity to view the exhibit of the portraits, but also a forum for sharing stories, providing support and offering education and activities that address the drug epidemic. All activities and educational programs are open to the public.
Applications will be accepted from February 1, 2020 through September 1, 2020. Incomplete or late applications will not be eligible for the exhibit.
Theresa Clower, Founder of INTO LIGHT, will be drawing forty-one (41) original graphite portraits of individuals in North Carolina who have lost their lives to drug addiction. Additionally, INTO LIGHT writers will be producing a narrative about each of the loved ones. An opening reception will be held on October 23, from 5:00 to 7:00 PM at the gallery. The original, framed portraits, along with a catalog containing the portraits and narratives from the exhibit will be presented at the Gifting Gathering held on November 20, 2020 from 5:30-6:30 at the gallery space.
If you wish to apply for your loved one to be a part of the exhibit, please read the information below, fill out the application and submit the photos as instructed.
Submissions must meet the following criteria:
- The individual who is being nominated for the exhibit died from drug addiction.
- The individual must have lived, or died, in North Carolina.
- You must fill out, in its entirety, the information form providing details for a narrative about the loved one who died. This narrative will be available at the exhibit and included in a catalog provided at the Gifting Gathering.
- You must provide the requested number and type of images at the time of submission. (more information on images is below)
- By submitting the application and being included in INTO LIGHT, you agree to media or other news coverage of your loved one’s drawing and information included in the narrative.
- You are also agreeing to potential use of photos or video taken at the exhibit and opening and closing gatherings, which could include images of yourself as well as the drawn portraits.
A digital image of the drawing will be sent to you for suggested changes when it is near completion. Once those changes are made, the drawing will be completed and signed. You may not request alterations to the portrait once it is signed. The digital image will be sent to you for reproduction or to share with others once it is finalized.
INFORMATION FOR SELECTING IMAGES TO SEND
The images you select for your drawing are VERY important. Not all photographs are suitable for a graphite portrait. Please select 1-3 photos with care and consideration. The following tips will help you to decide which images to send.
- The picture should be a good representation of your loved one. When choosing an image ask yourself “Is this how I want them remembered?”
- A shoulder and headshot is best. This will provide details needed to capture their essence.
- Any angle is fine. They can be looking straight on to the camera, three quarters view or in profile.
- High resolution and jpeg photos are best; also consider the contrast of light and dark as this helps when working in graphite.
- Several images should be sent for consideration.
In order to be considered for the INTO LIGHT exhibit, you must:
- Send in the images as described above.
- Fill out the questionnaire regarding the person you are nominating for inclusion into the project.
- Send both the images and the completed questionnaire via the form below by the deadline.
APPLICATION QUESTIONNAIRE FOR NARRATIVE
Every human being has light and dark sides to their personalities. We are not, or should not be, defined only by one part of our lives, or one facet of ourselves. The goal of the INTO LIGHT Narratives is to depict those who have died from drug addiction as the people that they were in their entirety, realizing that their addiction and cause of death was only one aspect of their personality.
Toward that end, we are asking you to put a lot of thought into answering the questions in this document. Our professional writers will utilize your responses to construct a narrative that shows your loved one as you remember them, in darkness and in light.
You can offer as much information as you like; our writers will synthesize the responses into a narrative of about 350-400 words. This narrative, along with the portrait, will be published in a catalogue for the INTO LIGHT exhibition in each state/location. By submitting this questionnaire you agree to take sole responsibility for the accuracy of the information and to be the point of contact for the duration of the project. You further acknowledge that you are authorized to submit the narrative information of the loved one and give your permission for its use in all aspects of the INTO LIGHT project.
There are a total of 41 slots available in each state/location. Only completed questionnaires accompanied with photograph(s) of the loved one will be considered for participation. Applicants are accepted on a first come, first accepted basis until 41 spots are filled.
Please put your responses below each question, you may write as much information as you wish.